Re: Question on OWL-S 1.0 Profile

Mithun Sheshagiri wrote:

> Hello all,
>                            I agree with Alexandre. Now for the directory
> to be any use, both the profile and the process have to be provided.

That's not really true.

In the first place, OWL-S 1.0 does not state that a profile must refer
to the IOPE definitions in the process model.  That is left open.  So
yes, it is possible for the profile to refer to the IOPE definitions in
the process model - and I view that as the most normal approach.  But it
is also possible for the profile to include its own IOPE definitions,
which would normally be copies of what are in the process model, or a
subset of them.

Just because Parameter and its subclasses (Input, Output, etc.) are
defined in Process.owl, does not mean that instances of these classes
must appear in process models.  That's part of the flexibility of OWL.

Even if the profile refers to the same IOPE definitions as the process
model,  I don't think that means that the entire process model has to be
made available along with the profile.  For example, one simple solution
would be to put all the IOPE definitions in a separate file, and have
both the profile and the process model refer to the definitions in that
file.  (As to whether those definitions should be in the same or in a
different namespace than the process model, I'm not sure at the moment.)

Regards,
David Martin