RE: Cross-ontologies reasoning

I'm not sure that you would use ontology mapping for factory floor control (at least not in the near future). Would you trust someone else to send an ontology in to your factory to control anything?

I think a much more likely scenario is consumer applications. For example, you have a restaurant reservation system controlled by an ontology. The things the ontology is knows about are times, food styles (french, italian), locations, (manhattan, greenwich village), etc. Initially, your system handles reservations submitted using your ontology, over web services. Later on, you for some reason arrange to handle reservations from some other system (acquisition, etc.) The newly acquired reservation system also runs on an ontology, which is similar, in the same domain, but uses different classnames, resources, etc.

I do not think it would be overly difficult to construct a system that could get a message in the new ontology, map it to the original, make a reservation, map the result back to the original ontology and return it. Initially, it probably takes some human intervention. However, after a few more acquisitions (and enhancements), the system could well be expected to do a pretty good job of taking a message based on yet another ontology and performing the above transformation with minimal or no intervention.

chas