Re: Gentle introduction to "Planning"?

Thanks, to both of you, this was most helpful.

Sensitized to what I'm looking for, there seems to be some useful
background material in Luger and Subblefield, and I found the planning
chapter of Russell and Norvig is on the web:
   http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/newchap11.pdf
linked from:
   http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

The Weld paper also appears to be very useful.  I think there's plenty to
chew on here!

#g
--

At 21:46 31/01/04 -0500, Sheila McIlraith wrote:

>In addition to the papers/books Bijan has recommended, I recommend
>the following overview paper on AI planning.
>It doesn't relate them to web service composition, but it is a
>reasonable overview of the field.
>
>Recent Advances in AI Planning
>Dan Weld
>AI Magazine, 1999
>
>http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/weld/
>
>Sheila McIlraith
>

>On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>

> > On Jan 31, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> >
> > > This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, but have only
> > > just got around to...
> > >
> > > Can anyone indicate a gentle introduction to AI planning techniques,
> > > sufficient to understanding roughly what is involved in applying them
> > > to Semantic Web services?
> >
> > Most AI textbooks have discussions. The one in Russell and Norvig seems
> > ok enough. They also discuss the sitcalc.
> >
> > Plug for UMDer: Dana Nau has a planning textbook forthcoming (in march).
> >
> > See: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nau/
> >
> > Some of his lectures might be useful:
> >       http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nau/cmsc722/
> >
> > Cheers,