Re: [OWL-S] output characterization (was "new IOPE example #1")

Hi Mike -

Thanks for your response; I'm taking the liberty to copy this to the list.

Huhns, Michael wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> The postconditions or effects are the things that hang around after the
> service has completed its operation.  With the add example (similarly
> for the interest rate one) it is certainly true that 5 is the sum of 2
> and 3 and should remain true for a long time, but unless this is stored
> somewhere, possibly for future reference or future use, it is not an
> effect.  So, if 5 gets cached, it is an effect.  If the service is
> stateless, then there is no effect (or postcondition).

In my last message, I deliberately avoided using the word "effect" because I don't
want us to get bogged down at this point in figuring out what we mean by "effect".
I take it you regard "postcondition" as synonymous with "effect".  I don't.  When I
say "postcondition", I mean any expression that's guaranteed to be true upon
successful completion of the service.  But PLEASE -- let's also not get bogged down
in discussing what we mean by "postcondition" at this point.

> For the interest-rate use case, the differences between S1 and S2 are
> not in IOPE, but in properties of the service and should be represented
> in the same way that other QoS parameters are.

OK, that seems to me like a reasonable kind of an answer.  But, if I understand what
you have in mind, I'm not convinced it's the best way to go.  I'm looking for the
best way for OWL-S to characterize the relationship between the inputs and outputs
of these two simple services, in terms of the vocabulary provided by my hypothetical
accounting ontology.

I think what you're proposing is a property, say, "function-computed", and the
declaration of my compute_interest1 service mentions "interest_compounded_daily" as
the value of function-computed.

That's fine, as far as it goes, but I don't see why it's better than my
"postcondition" (or whatever you want to call it) proposal.  In fact, my approach
seems better in several respects (at least, more general in its applicability and
more explicit about the relationship between the inputs and outputs).

Regards,
David