Re: the precondition property in OWL-S 1.0

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Saturday, November 8, 2003, at 10:41 PM, Drew McDermott wrote:
>
>>    [Bijan Parsia]
>>    There's two aspects of a precondition, its own logical form, and the
>>    fact that it is embedded in larger conditional (effectively). So,
>> if a
>>    precondition is that <<My Credit line is greater than 1000>>, the
>> form
>>    of that assertion *could* just be a regular condition. and arguably
>>    should be. It's the *relationship* between that formula and the
>> process
>>    that adds the extra semantics, much like putting a formula in the
>> body
>>    of a rule "changes" its semantics (*if* it is co-true with the other
>>    atoms, then the consequential atoms must be true).
>>
>> Actually, when semantics is done right, the context of a formula
>> doesn't add any "extra semantics."  All the meaning of (if P Q) can be
>> factored into the meaning of P, the meaning of Q, and the meaning of
>> (if _ _).
>

> Obviously, I agree. :)
>
>> I sort of thought the Precondition class was essentially a typo -- a
>> side effect of too many cooks stirring that particular soup.  Why are
>> we defending its existence?
>

> Dunno. :)
>
> Monika?

Bijan and Drew,

I agree with your thoughts on this issue

Well, my only interest here was to keep all the concepts used in
defining "a" process explicit. Normally, the "Precondition" does not
give us anything more than what "Condition" does and the
"hasPrecondition" property expresses the relation it has with the
process. I am not rigid about having  the Precondition class, just for
the sake of having it... :-)   .. But I guess a few more opinions on
this would not harm. The only problem I had was the "precondition"
property , that we currently have in the model

--
Monika Solanki

phone: +44 (0)116 250 6170 intern: 6170
email: monika@dmu.ac.uk