Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

>Bijan, Graham --
>
>The distinction between code and data is getting ever fuzzier....

Er... There has always been a fuzzy distinction between computation
and description.  Allow me to draw everyone's attention to a now
venerable slogan, first widely publicized by my colleague Bob
Kowalski in 1971:  "Algorithm = logic + control".  There were quite a
flurry of papers on this topic in the early 70s; but the idea was
probably first implemented in the mid-60s in systems like the
Aberdeen ABSYS and the early SIMULA, and in fact can be traced back
to the 1940/50s when Post and Church and Turing  first noticed that
lambda-calculus and its brethren can be viewed either as descriptive
languages which describe functions, or as operational languages for
manipulating them, and that the two views are almost
indistinguishable: and of course it lives amongst us today as logic
programming. However, there is a genuine distinction between
state-free operations (which include monotonic reasoning and pure
functional programming and, arguably, pure scripting) and
state-dependent operations (which include nonmonotonic reasoning and
most procedural programming such as Java).

The point is not the executable/nonexecutable distinction, but
whether the 'code' can be moved into a different context and
'executed' there freely, or whether on the other hand it is necessary
to also transmit some kind of computational state, tied to a place in
the code, to enable the execution to proceed.  Is the code itself
enough, or do you need to have a continuation for some virtual
machine? I think that the hallmark of a being a useful thing to
publish for transmission over an open, world-wide network lies in
this kind of a distinction rather than the executable/description
contrast.

Pat Hayes

>See, for a simple example, MergeOntologies1 at www.reengineeringllc.com .
>
>As its name would suggest, it's a merge of two ontologies.  It's
>also executable, although not by means of Java, C or such.
>
>Comments ?             Cheers,  -- Adrian
>

>At 10:23 AM 12/24/03 -0500, you wrote:

>>>I don't know if this is a useful perspective, but I've noticed
>>>that code sharing seems to be much easier when programming in
>>>Haskell compared with (say) Java or C.  I find I can generally
>>>pick up third-party functions and just use them, more easily than
>>>with more conventional programming languages.
>>
>>Yes, the advantages of, oh, referential transparency had occured to me.
>>
>>>I can imagine two possible contributors to this effect:
>>>
>>>(a) ultimately, many Haskell expressions are just values, so in
>>>some respects they're closer to data than to code.  There isn't a
>>>procedural aspect to get in the way (e.g. no need to coordinate
>>>passage through the "von Neumann bottleneck"? cf. [1])
>>>
>>>(b) the type system (being highly polymorphic, having much in
>>>common with ML and friends) permits, even encourages, typing
>>>details that are not relevant to some function to be left
>>>unspecified.
>>>
>>>I'm not sure if this has anything to say about ontology sharing.
>>>Maybe that reducing assumptions made by any given ontology makes
>>>it easier to share?  (Hmmm... that sounds almost obvious.)
>>
>>There are two issues (at least) with code sharing: Getting enough
>>adoption so there's lots of code to share, and then making it
>>relatively painless to share.
>>
>>There is a lot of *some* kind of code sharing going on . Take Java
>>as one example.
>>
>>OWL like ontologies seem way closer to data sharing. Rules do get
>>quite close to code sharing. Whether this is a difference that
>>makes a difference is the question.
>>
>>Interestingly, of course, that expression (or code) as values seems
>>to push code sharing toward data sharing.
>>
>>(Note, lest anyone mistake me: I think the data sharing problem to
>>be highly non-trivial :))
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Bijan Parsia.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell