Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

On Dec 20, 2003, at 2:34 PM, Ugo Corda wrote:
[snip]
> But let's look at something much simpler and down to earth: the goal
> of code sharing. It has been discussed for so many years within the
> computer community, and in theory it makes so much sense. But the
> reality has been very disappointing so far. Ontology sharing has some
> of the characteristics of code sharing, and I would like to understand
> what would make ontology sharing much more successful than code
> sharing.

Interesting, code sharing exactly occurred to me as a relevant thing to
consider.

But is it really analogous? Ontologies (at least, in OWL) are much more
like data than they are like code. And code reuse is harder (especially
with the sorts of relatively intractably analyzable languages in common
currency).

So whew! It reduces to the the data integration problem.

Oh wait....shoot :)

Less sillily, I *think* it'll be hard for languages like OWL to do much
worse than XML

Take that as comfort or despair inducing, as your nature dictates :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.