Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

Hi Ugo,

This idea of making deductive logical inferences across ontologies is
one of the principals of the OWL-DL flavor of the language.  You do it
by establishing axioms that express equivalencies, sub-class, or other
relationships between the two ontologies (or many more ontologies) and
use a mechanism such as owl:import to provide a linkage.  If you have
an inferencing technology, then you can maintain logical consistency
across these relationships.  "Closeness" is a matter of interpretation
and can be influenced somewhat by the form of the "bridge" axioms
expressed.  If ontologies are far apart -- ie different concepts -- the
logic processor would not infer that they represent the same or similar
things.

Note also that in effect you can obtain a chaining effect from the
ontologies --- the introduction of a 3rd ontology only requires
bridging axioms to some of the concepts in 1 of the previous two
ontologies, and so on.  So you are protected from an N-squared mapping
problem.

The state of the art is that these systems are available.    The notion
of federated or composite ontologies is directly instrumented in the
OWL language.  Our company ships an OWL-DL suite that provides this
capability, as well as authoring tools and aids that help to provide
these "bridging" statements.

Hope this helps.

Jack
jack.berkowitz@networkinference.com