Re: The "Social Web" vs the "Fediverse"

It definitely makes sense to build ActivityPub extensions for features
we don't yet have, instead of depending on incompatible protocol stacks.

But I need a solution that works now, not a year from now. I am rolling
out several major projects this year. Zot has been around since at least
2012 and has a more mature feature set. ActivityPub started in 2017 and
is missing features we need.

Plus, we have been asking for these changes to ActivityPub for years
now, and we have mostly been ignored and when we were not ignored, our
requests were denied. Probably because most of the social media
platforms using ActivityPub do not need Social Web features, so they
discount our Social Web needs.

Recently, ActivityPub has been more open to our needs, and I thank you
for that. But we can only wait so long. We support both protocols, so
when ActivityPub catches up, ActivityPub users will gain the features
already enjoyed by Zot users.

And OpenWebAuth is fully compatible with ActivityPub. As a single sign
on protocol, it does not conflict with ActivityPub federation.
OpenWebAuth is supplemental to ActivityPub, not a competitor. Unless you
plan on adding federated single sign on to ActivityPub.

If ActivityPub wants to be "the" protocol everyone uses, you have to go
beyond the Mastodon use case. Not all of us are building social media
apps. Some of us are building fediverse-enabled forum software. Some of
us are building a social web.

When ActivityPub catches up, we will use ActivityPub. Until then, we
will use existing protocols that already work.

I am a fan of ActivityPub and want it to succeed. But I have projects
that cannot wait for these features to be added to ActivityPub.

Scott M. Stolz