Re: Let's turn aspiration into fact?

On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 11:03 AM Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@gmail.com>
wrote:

IMHO one of the “killer advantages” of the fediverse over walled-garden
> social media is that we can use N applications, not just one, where N can
> consists of multiple instances of the same software, or — more
> interestingly, to me — instances of different software. If this were easy —
> and it would have to become a lot easier than it is today, such as along
> the lines you outline — we’d outrun any centralized silo on features any
> day of the week, as anybody can add as many new applications into their
> personal identity federation as they want any time.

Definitely a great vision! The catch, of course, is the fediverse generally
can't provide this today, since your identity is tied to a single server
and the subset of functionality it provides. Portable identity for the
fediverse is a massive project, but like you all envision, if/when we
manage to land it broadly, it would actually allow this kind of
interchangeable functionality, like Nostr and Bluesky already do. Here's
hoping!

--
https://snarfed.org/