Re: Let's turn aspiration into fact?

čt 8. 2. 2024 v 2:04 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> [...]
>> he put it"
>
> I disagree. The Verge article's
> <https://www.theverge.com/24063290/fediverse-explained-activitypub-social-media-open-protocol> prescription
> of porting as the solution to the problem is, in fact, the specification of
> a HOW. The WHAT is "independence from a platform." There exist a variety of
> means that can be used to provide that quality.
>
> Yes, data portability is one means to reduce dependency on a specific
> platform. However, other means are also available. For instance, if one
> assumed a content-addressable, platform-independent data storage mechanism,
> such as that implemented by IPFS
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterPlanetary_File_System> (The
> Interplanetary File System), then it would be possible to implement much of
> what SocialWeb interactions require without any particular platform.
> Similarly, one could build a messaging infrastructure comprising a mesh of
> publish/subscribe message relays, such as that envisioned by the advocates
> of Nostr <https://nostr.com/>, that would allow the dissemination of
> SocialWeb content without a "platform." (Such a system might be constructed
> by amending the WebSub, or PubSubHubbub, protocol to support AS/AP.) A
> variety of peer-to-peer solutions could also be implemented as alternatives
> to platform-based systems.
>
> While data-portability will solve *some* problems associated with binding
> to a specific SocialWeb platform, it won't solve them all.
>
> The ActivityStreams and ActivityPub protocols, as written, allow for a
> much broader range of communication than can be achieved using most
> commonly used platforms. Given the supported extension mechanisms, the
> SocialWeb protocols support an essentially unlimited range of communication
> patterns. But, because of the way most platforms are implemented, it simply
> isn't possible to benefit from either the breadth or the extensibility of
> those protocols. For instance, one might wish to define an extension to
> AS/AP to support a Chess playing protocol. Unfortunately, for such an
> extension to be useful, it would be necessary to provide not only clients
> that understood the extension but also a server, or platform, that did so.
> And, it would be necessary to convince all who wished to play "SocialWeb
> Chess" to sign into this new server -- whether or not they already had
> accounts with an existing ActivityPub platform. This is because most
> ActivityPub platforms reformat AS/AP content when presenting it via their
> server-client protocols or, even if they don't reformat the data, they
> often filter out objects whose types they don't understand. (e.g. Mastodon
> tries to normalize everything to a Note object.)
>
> I think we should think carefully about what essential services are
> provided by platforms and what might be alternatives to them. Increased
> data portability would certainly be a good thing, but it isn't sufficient.

Federated systems by their very nature inherit from the fact that URLs are
stable and gain both reputation, and inbound links over time.  This is an
enormously advantageous architecture for scaling and stability.  The
downside of this architecture, most inevitably, is that moving is much
harder.  You can possibly control outbout links, and internal, but
controlling outbound links is an intractable problem.  This is not a bad
thing, the web is functioning as designed.

Dont make the fediverse do something it cant, or that it wasnt designed to
do.  But use the feature of the fediverse that shines, which is the ability
to add links to systems that can add the features that you want.  This was
generally considered how federated systems would fit into the wider web and
internet as a whole, with the URI being the glue that ties heterogeneous
systems together.  Different schemes have different properties.  The
internet is working as desgined.