Re: Scope for a possible new SocialWeb (AP/AS2) W3C Working Group charter

Ășt 19. 9. 2023 v 20:40 odesĂ­latel James <jamesg@jamesg.blog> napsal:

> Thank you for sharing this list, Dmitri!
>
> To echo what Dmitri stated, a WG is not an end unto itself.
>
> With that said, this is an opportunity for us to progress several pieces
> of standards work based on our years of learning and seeing standards
> implemented and used in the real world.
>
> On the topic of scope, I would like us to consider the following:
>

>    1. Incubating rel=me as a W3C Note. IANA added rel=me to its link
>    registry yesterday (
>    https://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml).
>    A lot of work has been done with rel=me but not all of it codified into a
>    single, refined document.
>    2. Advancing IndieAuth from a Note to a Standards Track document.
>    IndieAuth now has at least a dozen client and server implementations, with
>    supporting infrastructure implemented in at least seven programming
>    languages (see a list of client, server, and library implementations at
>    https://indieweb.org/IndieAuth).
>    3. Advancing Microsub to a Standards Track document. Microsub has five
>    client and seven documented server implementations (
>    https://indieweb.org/Microsub).
>    4. Private posts on the web. Initial work has been done in this regard
>    with TicketAuth (https://indieweb.org/IndieAuth_Ticket_Auth), although
>    has failed to garner additional efforts over the years. There are at least
>    five implementations by separate people, but I would need to hear
>    explicitly that at least a few people would be interested in advancing this
>    work. I believe in this initiative because of its utility: web-native
>    private posts address a gap in expression on the web that has not been
>    covered to the same extent as public posts.
>    5. Micropub extensions with multiple interoperable implementations for
>    inclusion in the main specification (
>    https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions).

They seem like reasonable items.  What happened before was that there were
user stories describing how the technologies could be used.  Regarding
rel=me, it is quite widely used now (I think).  IMHO one advantage of it,
is that it's very easy to type and add to a page for developers (DevX).
I'll point out it does introduce a certain ambiguity in saying "this page
is me".  You might like someone's home page (styles, design, layout etc.)
but not like the person.  Just an observation.