Re: Split off ActivityPub CG or WG

st 4. 10. 2023 v 9:22 odesílatel hellekin <hellekin@cepheide.org> napsal:

> We do have an ActivityPub Community Group -- a Special Interest Group
> actually, in the form of the SocialHub.
>
> If Aaron Parecki thinks it's good to keep the SocialCG and work with
> ActivityPub within a broader context of the Social Web protocols, then I
> see no reason to split again. We can continue ActivityPub ground work on
> the SocialHub, relay to the SocialCG and get the best of both worlds.
>
> The SocialHub was created to give momentum to the ActivityPub community
> following the ActivityPub Conference held in Prague in 2019, and
> organized very generously by Sebastian Lasse. It was a great success and
> we anticipated much work to do that would become much noise for the
> SocialCG mailing-list, since this list was larger than just ActivityPub.
>
> If now the people we wanted to avoid spamming are fine with getting the
> heat, I see no reason to move away and apart. On the contrary, I feel
> like we are in a situation where we have a real grassroots community
> that is grounded in free software and works on Codeberg and the
> SocialHub, and a standards-oriented community group who can relay and
> give body to already chewed on ground work. This is the best situation
> we can imagine, where the grassroots implementors lead the way and the
> standards-oriented people renders that body of work normative.
>
> I am not a driving force in the specification process, so I'm happy
> whatever decision is made, but I want to underline both the grassroots
> effort that have been going on over the last four years around the
> SocialHub, as well as the renewed interests by the Chair to consolidate
> the normative form of ActivityPub and ActivityStreams. This is a great
> opportunity to engage more people with more confidence in the process,
> and not isolate other protocols that, if they are less visible, are no
> less important to our common success.

A Venn Diagram was mentioned.  There are a few around over the years, here
is perhaps an idea for: "The Venn of Social"

[image: image.png]

https://m.primal.net/HMgy.png

Different people will want to work on different thing.

There's a broad social web.  And there's the fediverse.  At the
intersection is activity pub.

With other open protocols emerging via bridges and interop efforts.