Re: Introductions (was Re: First 2023 SWICG meeting call on Fri May 19)

Not on the list so please copy this to the list if it doesn’t come
through.

My timeline from memory is roughly this:

- April 2009 Libre.fm is started via a post on identica

- Later in 2009 the idea of social networking features are being added
to GNU FM (by now we’d started calling the project under a different
name) and I’m uncomfortable with it as I don’t want to be a silo.

- various prototypes are made at the FSF, internally at first and later
looping in interns (Sean, Ian) and friends who hung around the FSF. At
this point the FSF staff have a fairly active darts league and we were
making GNU Social to keep track of it.

- One of these people was Craig Andrews who suggested we should make
plug-ins for StatusNet instead. Our goal was to replace Facebook, not
Twitter.

- Craig assigned his copyright over to the FSF and makes a commit. Now
StatusNet is partly FSF owned and GNU Social is now a set of plugins for
StatusNet.

- Rhea Myers and I have our company, FooCorp and we’re looking at making
a version of GNU Social like we have Libre.fm. It’s called daisycha.in
but it never goes anywhere. At this point I start using the name GNU
social (lowercase) to describe the new project, which is basically
StatusNet plus plugins but at some point we distributed a copy of
StatusNet with the project. I also don’t remember how well the plug-ins
work.

project is also using it in early stages.

- At this point it’s 2010 we have new interns at the FSF. We have an
event at the FSF with Evan, Blaine Cook and the various FSF
staff/interns/friends. We get a logo and some mock-ups based on Always
Sunny in Philadelphia. Evan/StatusNet Inc kindly funds my travel to
OSCON. This becomes the first IndieWeb event.

- In 2012 I leave the FSF and there is some attempt by another GNU
developer to take over the name. Stallman okayed it but didn’t know
there was paperwork for GNU social copyright assignments so this is
quickly reverted and the developer makes something else.

- In 2013 the merger has happened with FreeSocial (aka Free&Social),
StatusNet (the project) and GNU Social under the name GNU social
happens. I know this because
<https://www.gnu.org/software/social/merge.html> talks about it. Wow the
last decade has gone fast.

After around 2012 I have no more involvement in GNU social and little
involvement in GNU aside from occasional moments. Nowadays I have no
contact with the FSF or GNU.

So I’d say GNU social has arguably six founders. Myself, the GNU FM
developers, Deborah Nicholson(ex FSF), Donald Robertson (Ex FSF), Evan,
Mikael (Free Social).

Of all these people, Evan wrote most of the code. Stevie DuBois did the
logo. I changed the case of the project name. I might have done other
stuff ;-) A bunch of very talented people gave up a lot of their time
and energy at a time when none of this stuff was seen as especially cool
to the wider world. Everyone should be commended for that.

All of this was a long time ago now and this is all from memory so
please let me know just how much I got wrong.

As I say elsewhere I helped start the Fediverse now my interests are
painting toy soldiers and making monkey movies.

Best,
matt