Re: Why is Nostr useful? What can Nostr do that ActivityStreams can't?

pá 12. 5. 2023 v 8:17 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> [...]
>> bech32 was selected over base58
>
> Bitcoin's reasons for using bech32 <https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0173> are
> excellent examples of why the W3C CCG's multiformats
> <https://github.com/multiformats> stuff is useful. Different hashing
> methods address different needs. While bech32 may address needs that are
> specific to Bitcoin-related systems, those needs aren't universal. For
> instance, Bitcoin applications expect users to be able to manually write
> down valuable identifiers (e.g. with pen on paper...). Thus, they prefer
> bech32 since its base-32 encoding only uses lower-case alphanumerics and
> thus avoids the potential for confusion when transcribing or reading
> mixed-case identifiers. Unfortunately, the use of any base-32 encoding,
> rather than a base-58 encoding, will result in a less bit-efficient
> encoding. Thus, bech32 hashes are inevitably larger than base58 hashes. While
> that extra length provides some value for Bitcoin users, it would offer
> no real benefit  for ActivityStreams users. Also, bech32 includes a
> checksum which makes it even longer and less bit-efficient. This is
> useful for identifiers that are subject to transcription errors and which
> are exchanged independently of the data from which they were derived. Of
> course, the hash of an ActivityStreams object is a checksum for the
> object. Providing a checksum for the checksum would be a bit excessive.
>
> Not only do different hashing methods serve different needs, one's
> understanding of those needs can evolve over time. Thus, Bitcoin started
> out with a rather cumbersome custom base-58 hashing method, and later
> learned that it didn't serve their needs. So, it became desirable to move
> to bech32. Enabling this kind of transition is the sort of thing that
> multiformats makes much easier than otherwise.
>
> Note: I'm not trying to defend base58. I only suggest that while bech32
> may provide value for Bitcoin applications, it isn't obvious to me that it
> provides much value for the kind of application that would use
> ActivityStreams. Nonetheless, one should ensure that bech32 could be used
> in some AS applications, if it were, in fact, useful. Thus, it would make
> sense to ActivityStreams to use multiformat encoding so that common
> ActivityStreams applications could use stuff like base58, while the
> flexibility to use bech32, or any other hashing scheme, was also supported.
> Of course, those who use uncommon hashing schemes should not be surprised
> when other systems don't understand what they've done.
>
> Nostr hopes to have the highest quality so-called "5 Star" form of Linked
>> Data, with the help of expertise at the W3C
>
> Is there some written record that expresses this "hope?" I haven't seen
> any evidence of such a hope in my reading of Nostr stuff and there is
> nothing in what I've read that indicates any intention to use JSON-LD, RDF,
> or any other W3C-defined format (Note: One of TBL's "5 Stars" is "use W3C

Nostr is primary a websockets technology.  There's not a huge appetite in
the main standardization effort (NIPs) to move to HTTP type solutions,
however there is an intersection.  One of the reasons that I started the
community group was to try and ensure that the bits in the intersection are
as high quality as possible, and using best practices in the W3C stack --
cherry picking to a degree.  Folks interested in nostr have a great deal of
linked data expertise.  My hope is that that can be translated into 5 star
linked data.  Certainly ahead of where AS or DID is today.  AS doesnt even
have a Linked Data compliant vocabulary.  Let's face it the bar is not high.