Re: Thinking about Webfinger

ne 7. 5. 2023 v 5:11 odesílatel Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@gmail.com>
napsal:

> On May 6, 2023, at 19:05, ben@bengo.co wrote:
>
> It seems like it is more human-centric to accommodate resolving via a
> service chosen by the human doing the resolving, not a service chosen by
> the author or controller of the identifier.
>

> Now you opened up a larger issue …
>
> (Perhaps somebody can point to an example for this in the wild, because
> I’d love to see one and am not aware of one (other than self-hosting the
> webfinger endpoint at your own domain))
>
> We tend to treat the data in the webfinger doc as static. As something
> that the developer creates of the app that hosts it, and that’s what that
> is.
>
> What if we treated it as a dataset that the user can augment at will? E.g.
> can add “entirely unrelated” aliases into? So I could say, for example:
>
> * My primary identifier is @j12t@social.coop, and by default its
> corresponding webfinger file has Mastodon stuff in it.

It's quite interesting how such ideas go in cycles, ie "my primary
identifier is @j12t@social.coop"

This email to the IETF from bluesky struck me as similar:

"The idea is indeed that at:// could user-facing in the same way http://
is. The intent is to express a social address so that I could be at://
pfrazee.com to provide a social identity and http://pfrazee.com to provide
a website. We're hoping to make the scheme intuitive to people, as it has a
clear connection to the "@pfrazee.com" convention."

I didnt think of this, but it seems they want to turn @ into a URI scheme.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/uri-review/ApSEK9-3qgvLD0U-2IFz8Ja0OMU/