Re: Thinking about Webfinger

po 8. 5. 2023 v 11:47 odesílatel Matthias Pfefferle <matthias@pfefferle.org>
napsal:

> Hi,
>
> when we are already discussing WebFinger, I would love to add a pro
> argument of integrating WebFinger even more into the ActivityPub spec, to
> decouple some of the "single platform“ issues. The most criticized part of
> ActivityPub is actually the identity portability, the direct dependency of
> the identity to the current used platform (I think this is also discussed
> in an other mailing thread)
> https://atproto.com/guides/faq#why-not-use-activitypub. Protocols like AT
> and nostr seem to have some better handlings for that and ironically
> nostr’s NIP-05 is very similar to WebFinger (sadly they refused to use
> WebFinger https://github.com/nostr-protocol/nips/issues/482 ) but used a
> bit different.

I'd like to mention that NIP-05 [1] (which is similar to webfinger) has
been working effectively. It enables users to obtain JSON from a
.well-known domain name associated with a public key, which then points
back to the public key. Although it introduces another JSON format, it was
standardized quickly and offers ease of migration. It can also serve as a
bridge to existing web systems, allowing users to verify their accounts at
a domain of their choice, similar to the Twitter blue check mark.  BlueSky
I believe are making their own version of NIP-05.

The team at Kosmos proposed an integration worth considering: "NIP-05 user
addresses (i.e., make your pubkey discoverable via your username@kosmos.org
address)" [2]. Integrating this into both Solid and the fediverse could be
relatively straightforward, as it uses regular JSON without a new URI
scheme. While it doesn't utilize linked data, there is potential for
modeling everything in Nostr with linked data in the future, as indicated
by the ongoing development of a vocabulary that I am working on [3].  But
that will be a longer journey.

[1] https://github.com/nostr-protocol/nips/blob/master/05.md
[2] https://gitea.kosmos.org/kosmos/akkounts/pulls/101
[3] https://w3id.org/nostr