Re: Thinking about Webfinger

Melvin wrote:

> upgrades to the spec or the network will have to happen one day.  And it's
> likely we will work out how to do that gracefully

Of course, "upgrades" are not inevitable. They only happen when there is a
real need understood by many. Nonetheless, there are ways that one can
"gracefully" move forward without introducing backwards compatibility
issues. For instance:

It seems to me that the most graceful path forward would be to write an
internet-Draft that:

   - Specifies how WebFinger services should respond when HTTP "Accept"
   headers are used (i.e."Accept: application/ld+json").
   - Alternatively, one could add a new "format" parameter to a WebFinger
   request that might initially be defined as having values of either "jrd" or
   "json-ld." This "format" parameter would be optional, in the same way that
   the "rel" parameter is optional.
   - Define the JSON-LD format for responses.

My assumption is that servers would be permitted to ignore either the
Accept headers or the format parameter. Thus, clients would still be
well-advised to know how to consume both JRD and JSON-LD.

Such an approach would allow WebFinger service implementers to begin
providing JSON-LD responses, when requested, without having any real impact
on those who have implemented JRD-only systems in the past. At some future
date, if it appears that the vast bulk of WebFinger requests are requesting
JSON-LD, it might be appropriate to write a new ID that schedules a shift
in the default for some number of years in the future.

I suppose there may be some who would insist on implementing JSON-LD-only
WebFinger but have some reason to oppose the use of either HTTP Accept
headers or a format parameter... If they could establish some compelling
reason to address their desires, one might define "webfinger.json-ld" as an
alternative to "webfinger." Thus, one could have:

> https://example.com/.well-known/webfinger?resource=acct%3Alice%
> 40example.com (Returns JRD), or
> https://example.com/.well-known/webfinger?resource=acct%3Alice%
> 40example.com&format="json-ld" (Returns JSON-LD), or
> https://example.com/.well-known/webfinger.json-ld?resource=acct%3Alicel%
> 40example.com (Returns JSON-LD).

Would such approaches, or something similar, serve your needs? It seems to
me that any attempt to change or deprecate the use of JRD is likely to be a
non-starter.

Can you explain in more detail the downsides of using JRD? Also, how would
the JSON-LD format differ from the JRD format? Are you suggesting something
more than just adding support for "@context" to what's currently in the JRD
specification, or are you suggesting that the full set of JSON-LD syntax
tokens and keywords could be exploited? Would you allow arbitrary JSON-LD
content or would this new format be limited to the limited set of things
that XRD/JRD can talk about (i.e. subject, aliases, links, etc.)?

Melvin also wrote:

> For example RFC 7033 the term "aliases" and the term "alias" has long been
> talked about in linked data having value.

I am not sure what this sentence means. Can you elaborate a bit?

bob wyman