Re: IndieWeb Technologies in SWICG

Ășt 27. 6. 2023 v 23:11 odesĂ­latel James <jamesg@jamesg.blog> napsal:

> Hello there,
>
> I am James (jamesg.blog). Long time social web enthusiast, first time
> emailer.
>
> I have been following the discussions on the chair discussions for the
> community and I was curious to start opening more discussions into a
> broader range of social web technologies. I am excited and invigorated by
> the work done to support ActivityPub, particularly given its prominence in
> the decentralised social web ecosystem. With that said, I am equally
> excited by approaches new and old: Webmentions, Bluesky, IndieAuth, and
> more.

Hi James.  The group has been going since about 2006.  First it was the
social web incubator group.  Then it was the social web working group.  Now
it's the social web incubator community group.

Traditionally it's been about social technologies in the web space.  And
how they interopate together to solve social use cases.  The space has
changed alot over the last 20 years, though.

At present there are not many work items in the group as it was inactive a
long time, mainly going through the last 7 years of issues that were not
addressed.

> I was curious to learn more about for whom the group is building, to
> assess ways in which I could potentially contribute. The Working Group had
> a rich history in incubating a range of technologies, from ActivityPub to
> Post Type Discovery to Webmention, all serving real needs. My expertise is
> more on the "IndieWeb" technologies incubated, but I find that is an
> unhelpful distinction. All the work the group does is part of the same
> goal: to discuss, incubate, implement, and document standards that enable
> richer social interactions on the web platform.

Im a member of indieweb.  And indieweb has always had a strong presence in
the group.  However, they tend to operate less on mailing lists, and more
on instant messengers.  Tantek was one of the chairs of the working group,
and aaron is currently chair of this group.

> Ultimately, I am interested in contributing to work that delivers upon the
> needs of end users and helps to create a more decentralized web.

You may want to check out the socialhub forum too, which is very inclusive:

https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/latest