Re: IndieWeb Technologies in SWICG

Great question!

So, here’s what the description of the SocialCG says:

The SocialCG provides space to collaborate and coordinate for implementors who are building on any of the specifications published by the Social Web WG <https://www.w3.org/TR/social-web-protocols/>, and related technologies. It is also a place to incubate new proposals which build on or complement the Social Web WG recommendations.

That, to me, sounds like our scope is:

any of the six specs from the SocialWG (ActivityPub, Activity Streams 2.0, Linked Data Notifications, Micropub, WebMention, WebSub)
Closely related technologies - maybe underlying technologies that like HTTP Signatures, JSON-LD or OAuth 2.0 for the AP/AS2 stack, SOLID more generally, and the IndieWeb suite more generally
Extensions to any of these technologies

I think there’s some ambiguity about stacks that do social networking that aren’t derived from these stacks, like Nostr or BlueSky. My feeling is that, since there are other places to talk about those projects, and the primary authors are not participants here, it doesn’t make sense for us to work on them as a group.

For HTTP Signatures and OAuth 2.0, primary discussion should probably be at the IETF or other venues.

For JSON-LD, there’s a group at the W3C for it.

I think most SOLID work should happen in the SOLID CG, with maybe interop discussion happening here.

I think the IndieWeb community has a pretty good infrastructure for discussion, but if this is the best place for discussion of related specs, so be it!

So, in the most narrow sense, this is a good group for: our six specifications, extensions to them, and maybe some other parts of the IndieWeb suite.

I also think that, as a gut check, this is the work the world expects us to do.

Evan