Re: Fediverse marketing group

I see several challenges here that Meta will have solved right out of the gate:

1) The biggest roadblock I see  is verification …. although one can add rel=“me” for Mastodon (and some others) it is not the best way to validate that a public figure is indeed who they say they are (credit card, drivers license, etc…).  Not sure how we solve this one in the fediverse.. Meta has solved this problem for users on their instance I would guess most likely by piggy backing their existing verification processes.

2) A public figure (and creator) wants reach, which means whatever instance they are on needs to ensure reach.  Most instances do not ensure reach, but the opposite (privacy). So, one needs to be able to recommend instances who have a public reach mentality first as well as reliable execution for them to join.

3) Discovery is a big issue …. It needs to be supported in the fediverse clients for mainstream users to find public/creator figures, but there is no concept of aggregated / indexed data, which makes it difficult to find specific individuals via search with the current model where search is localised and clients depend on human generated lists to find public accounts to follow.  If there were a way to say “please actually do index me and make it available to every fediverse client at the expense of my own privacy” that would go a long way. This would need to be at the AP API level (not higher level API’s like Mastodon).

Just my 2 cents… would love to see more public figures in the fediverse supported across many instances.

Greg