Re: Webfinger Local (and Domain) Part Syntax

Again, to be clear: RFC 7565 governs how usernames and domains are
interchanged between federated systems when looking an account up via
webfinger, but it doesn't govern *authoring* @ mentions in running text
with the @username@domain microsyntax, which is implementation dependent
and only used by a subset of implementations. Of specific note is that the
former has a required scheme (acct:), while the latter is embedded in
running text and therefore needs to make compromises on completeness. (For
example, I believe in most common implementations of the @mention
microsyntax a TLD is required, but I would be surprised if it was required
in the RFC.)