Re: Special Topic Call - ActivityPub Interop Test Suite [via Social Web Incubator Community Group]

This was a good and interesting call earlier today, I for one learned stuff.

If we put the various pieces together that were presented today — which, surprisingly to me, had very little if any overlap — we could come up with something very powerful that:

* covers all three of the major reasons why a test suite is needed:

   1) so as a standards group, we know what parts of the A* standards have been implemented/correctly and by whom
   2) to enable developers to run full-stack interop tests as part of their CI against many other apps, and
   3) to help new implementers figure out how to make it work.

* could support a multi-staged process in which:

   1) test cases are first collected — and debated! — in structured natural language
   2) once graduated from there, they can be converted into unit tests that can be run with lots of manual assistance first
   3) and finally be fully automated, suitable for CI

Supported by some “onboarding tools” for new developers.

At least that’s the way it came together in my mind.

There is a question of whether we can bring enough people and resources together to actually accomplish this, and over which time frame, but the call has opened up the possibility of a promising direction.

Thank you for the chairs for setting this up. Happy to follow-up with anybody on-list and off-list.

Best,

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst

Fediforum <https://fediforum.org/>