Re: Survey -- observations and ideas

Dear Bob,

it's interesting. My perception differs greatly from yours. While the
first generation of ActivityPub Services practicly (re)implemented
things already available in older federated ecosystems or on gated
platforms, the current generation is onto implementing small but
significant new innovative variations. One of these examples is
Mobilizon, which isn't just a version of Facebook Events or meetup.com,
it surpasses these systems by providing functions to make it easier to
organize and plan events! Also, that we see how a multitude of sites
implement ActivityPub as a form of social Feed when they dropped RSS
long ago. Projects like Mobilizon, bookwyrm, etc. show that there is
true innovative power in this system.

And with the acquiring of new users it will get easier to start and test
innovative ideas. Because you always have a network of users you can
rely on. While you have to build a new user base when you try to build a
novel idea as a gated platform.

But as you pointed out, another federated system always could surpass
the Fediverse. So what are the missing features? What are the prominent
showstoppers? Which are problems that can be solved at the protocol, and
which are questions of implementation?

yours eest9