Re: Issue Triage livestream

ne 23. 4. 2023 v 22:42 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> Evan wrote:
>
>> Ah, right. It looks like Social Hub is called out as canonical on the CG
>> page.
>
> While the Social Hub may be a good place for a variety of discussions, I
> think it is best to say any "decisions" of the SWICG should occur within
> the context of formal W3C resources and among those who are actual members
> of the SWICG, subject to the W3C's intellectual property disclosure or
> waiver requirements.

W3C Community Groups (CGs) offer a casual environment for collaboration.
Each CG is free to determine its preferred working methods. While Incubator
Groups (XGs) and Working Groups (WGs) differ in nature, both have existed
within the W3C social web effort in the past.

The W3C CG provides a mailing list that includes royalty-free and patent
protections. When these aspects are of concern, utilizing the mailing list
is an advantageous option. Though, free software has a notable history of
fostering open specifications.

However, the CG and mailing list can be less inclusive since participants
need a real name, employer consent, and a signed legal agreement. As a
result, CGs may sometimes experience reduced activity or a lack of
enthusiasm for progress. Some critical issues have remained unaddressed for
several years, recent activity has shown a positive trend, which is
encouraging. It's understandable that some members may want to work in a
more active environment.

It's beneficial to explore additional avenues for collaboration, such as
the AP socialhub forum and GitHub. The CG will typically choose its
decision-making process and chair selection, though the process may not
always be as transparent, as it could be.

On the other hand, WGs follow a different decision-making process, with
chairs holding significant power and voting sometimes being political.

While the W3C mailing list provides patent protection, it's also important
to include other, more inclusive venues that align with the principles of
the free and open-source community. Currently, the social hub and GitHub
seem to be the best options, but things could alot in the next year.

Decisions right now I think are oriented towards the github issues list,
and about whether or not to create a new more formal group to work on
specifications.