Social Media Feeds (was Re: Thoughts on directions for a rebooted SWICG)

Hi Adam, and All,

My "beef" is mainly with mobile phones and mobile phone usage. According to
Andrew Huberman eye movement is crucial in forming and reforming memory, it
goes back to when we were hunting and finding new trails and remembering
old ones. We had large eye movements. The issue with mobile phones is we
have reduced eye movements and this does not trigger memory formation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_D._Huberman a professor of biology and
ophthalmology at Stanford University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVw-9ThmSM - short on mobile phone usage,
Acetyl Chloline, the Amygdala, and Dopamine.

Sorry I cannot find his original podcast that states this explicitly, I
think it is in one of the ones about dopamine which there are many and they
are generally two hours long.

There are many papers in the literature on Mobile Phone usage, memory and
cognitive ability. Quoting one quickly :-

"Reliance on smartphones has been linked to a form of psychological
dependency, and this reliance has detrimental effect on our affective
‘mood’ states. For example, feelings of anxiety when one is separated from
their smartphones can interfere with the ability to attend to information.
Cheever et al. observed that heavy and moderate mobile phone users reported
increased anxiety when their mobile phone was taken away as early as 10
minutes into the experiment [14
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref014>].
They noted that high mobile phone usage was associated with higher risk of
experiencing ‘nomophobia’ (no mobile phone phobia), a form of anxiety
characterized by constantly thinking about one’s own mobile phones and the
desire to stay in contact with the device [15
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref015>].
Other studies reported similar separation-anxiety and other unpleasant
thoughts in participants when their smartphones were taken away [16
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref016>]
or the usage was prohibited [17
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref017>,
18
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref018>].
Participants also reported having frequent thoughts about their
smartphones, despite their device being out of sight briefly (kept in bags
or pockets), to the point of disrupting their task performance [13
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/#pone.0219233.ref013>].
Taken together, these findings suggest that strong attachment towards a
smartphone has immediate and lasting negative effects on mood and appears
to induce anxiety."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7425970/ - Mobile phones: The
effect of its presence on learning and memory

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29324924/ - Mobile phone use for 5 minutes
can cause significant memory impairment in humans

On a personal note I have been using Facebook since about 2009 and
performed extensive periodic tests with scrolling feeds and the reward
centered behaviour, both for entertainment purpose based usage and also for
purposeful usage for the use of Facebook as in information flagging and
dissemination tool for collecting articles on climate change and
environmental matters which I used it for for about 11 years in from about
2009 to 2018, this was largely on a computer but also on a tablet device.

I have also examined the article/post selection algorithm and how it
changed over time, and how those changes responded to different types of
usage over this period and to the now. The algorithm used to be highly
trainable but what and where you focused attention, it would basically give
you more of what to seeked or draw attention to either by article reads or
by likes or by shares. For me it became a very useful tool for getting the
latest environmental news and scientific articles. But this very mechanism
is also what causes many people using Facebook for non cognitive tasks,
mental addiction issues, and also with the case of instagram problems with
self harm and other destructive behaviours from graphic pictures, self harm
reinforcing stories, and groups.

The algorithm or lack of algorithm or ideally the ability to choose and
tailor algorithms are what I think can break or make social media usage,
take up, and retention of usage.

Andrew Huberman on dopamine, mobile phones, and social media feeds :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-AcF_4Hao

I have found now FaceBook, or what I jokingly and un-jokingly call
FarceBook, has now changed to be of very little use to me now. I still
maintain a private environmental group I created, and a public COVID-19
Information Exchange Group which I created back in May 16th 2020m, as a
safe place for serious people wanting to read and exchange information
about COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2, without the issues of conspiracy theories
and denial that were so prevalent on FaceBook at the time. for moderated
scientific articles and news, to which I am very grateful to my coadmin for
taking the helm in moderation at times of too much stress at times during
this period.

FaceBook and Instagram also use SHA256 of images, triggering associative
statistical graph based learning, where image types can be "classified" and
attached to actions for example a friend of mine likes birds of the
ornithological nature, I started sending him pictures of birds, so FaceBook
picked up on this and started feeding me them particularly in association
to both him and his wife, when I contacting either them or on their posts
coming up on my feed.

So the algorithm can be key to how Social Media can be fun and rewarding,
how it can be addictive, how it can be distractive in a good, or
destructive in a bad way, and how it can be crucial to people adopting and
keeping using a platform. I think a good post selection algorithm is
essential for social media as both a tool and a form of entertainment as
what comes up on a feed if just random selection can either be boring, non
attention keeping, and result in retaining people not using a
platform, which seems to have happened to the generation of FaceBook alike
clones, like MeWe for example. Another major factor is FaceBooks people
momentum, literally the number of people using the platform and the lack of
people's mass or momentum on these third party "spin-off" platforms.

I think an algorithm for post selection is essential. Ideally this/the
algorithm is tailorable or even choosable and selectable by the user.

I am interested in what I term social collaboration platforms, where we
still have feeds but the remit of the platform is more geared towards
creative or loose organization usage. More like a news feed or a topic
orientated usage. I have many ideas in this field and am looking to work on
a system which captures all of these issues in a creative and sustainable
way.

On a closing note :-

"There is nothing like a book, a random access device, where you can flick
to the contents or index then quickly flick to the desired page, sometimes
automatically. ... Some well trained books remember pages and can
automagically guide you to the very page where you wished to go, ...."  - I
am paraphrasing a Guardian article I can no longer find.

Hoping this will create a whole debate on this topic so we can work on
providing a social experience that is wholesome, enjoyable, and educational.

Regards,

Aaron Gray