Sem Web Logo Update [Was: Semantic Web logos and technology buttons for your consideration]

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 16:19 -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 12:15 +0000, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > I am pleased to share with you the results of those discussions:
> >   http://www.w3.org/2007/09/draft-swlogos.pdf
>
> Hello all,
>
> The Comm Team met last week and also supported the logos. I will be
> following up with Marie-Claire and Fabrice on next steps, including
> taking into account some of the (minor) comments that we received.

Hi all,

Here's the latest update on the Semantic Web logos, after discussion
with Fabrice of comments that you raised. Fabrice will revise the
materials this week and send us back what I hope is the final draft
before we go live.

Expected changes in the next draft:
 1) Removing the bar that separates the w3c logo from the cube
 2) Some minor adjustments to the size of the cube and of the text
    'Semantic Web'

Once we have the final draft from Fabrice, I expect the Comm Team
to provide the following:

 0) A home page for the logos, with description and usage
    policy.
 1) Logos and badges in various formats (PNG, GIF, SVG, EPS)
    and in the colors we've proposed.
 2) A cube (on its own) favicon (16x16)
 3) A draft T-shirt design featuring the cube and some text. The
    proposed slogan so far is "Open Your Data." Our goal is to
    connect a positive message to the icon from the start, and
    "open" corresponds nicely to the opening lid.

    I realize that in a separate project, the brochure, the
    slogan "Unleash Your Data" is being used. We can discuss
    which of the two is preferred. We should use only one moving
    forward.

We are also talking about creating an animation (ultimately in SVG)
showing the lid of the Semantic Web cube opening up. I look forward
to see what the creative folks who work with Fabrice come up with.

Furthermore, at the Comm Team meeting we started to brainstorm about
turning the cube into a physical object (e.g., a small trinket to
hang from a mobile phone) that we can distribute as a goodie. I welcome
any ideas you might have for cube goodies!

Once the logos are in place, we can work with the Semantic Web Activity
to integrate the logo into Web pages and other materials. We can also
return to the topic of using the other graphical elements (e.g., the OWL
eyes) in conjunction with the new logos.

Thank you,

 _ Ian
--
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447