Re: data format for gathered information

Hi Guys,

perhaps read the wiki-page in parallel to this email thread.
DOAP, FOAF, etc are all mentioned there already,
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVocabulary

Benjamin, Ivan, you are free to edit the wiki page,
just change/adapt it so that it reflects your approach, please start
editing.
(no edits so far,
this is a wiki, free speech, last change wins, anything goes, like
wikipedia)

Es begab sich aber da Benjamin Nowack zur rechten Zeit 26.02.2007 11:24
folgendes schrieb:
> On 22.02.2007 19:55:52, Leo Sauermann wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I see two things to face, first:
>> Describing Information items as such, such as tools, websites,
>> presentaitons, tutorials. This should be done using RSS 1.0, and in some
>> cases when needed extended using DOAP, foaf, etc. This is pretty
>> straightforward, please review and update this site until you agree:
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataVocabulary
>>
> Not sure about the RSS design decision, it pretty much restricts
> the resource types to documents, so we can't really use it as an
> "umbrella" spec. My 2 highly redundant cents:
> - I found DOAP to work fine for most things software, DCMI provides a
>   number of handy resource type URIs[1] which could be used to augment
>   doap:Version resources (e.g. dctype:Collection, dctype:Dataset,
>   dctype:InteractiveResource, dctype:Service), or owl:Ontology for
>   projects that produce vocabularies (e.g. the FOAF project)

That was partly already there,
please edit the wiki page so that it reflects your exact ideas, but I
think the current version already is like you say here.

> - tags (skos:subject, or dc:subject) for more specific stuff (personal
>   preference: the more fine-grained skos options)

ok, one more for SKOS

> - Danny's review vocab[2] for ratings/reviews

please add this to the wiki page!
> - a combination of the two rdf/iCal specs[3][4] (with and without
>   timezone-datatyped timestamps) for events

they are rather buggy and not clear which one to use, but I would go for
the simpler (not-timezone-as-datatype-one).

Es begab sich aber da Danny Ayers zur rechten Zeit 22.02.2007 20:25
folgendes schrieb:

> Quick thoughts: I see the motivation re. reuse, but rather than trying
> to use solely RSS 1.0 for the items, it might be better to use more
> precise terms where they exist, as_well_as the RSS terms, e.g.
>
> <http://example.org/doc> a rss:item; a foaf:Document .
I also thought about this, but if you require from all participants to
do that, it sucks.
Why should anyone annotate two types if one is enough? This is the
format we expect external data to be in,
inference should add the additional triples.

> For the taxo stuff, SKOS sounds a very good idea generally, though I
> wouldn't be surprised if there were existing vocabs that could be used
> for things like "tutorial" etc.
> I'll cc Ian, he hangs around libraries...
>
> It might also be worth considering (perhaps redundantly again) the Tag
> Ontology at
> http://www.holygoat.co.uk/projects/tags/
SKOS covers this and more, so would rather use skos.

> Cheers,
> Danny.

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313