RE: Now it's RDF vs Microformats

Paul wrote on 02/23/2007 09:54:14 AM:

> So, we should be cooperative yes, but everyone needs to realise that
there
> *is* an element of competition. I don't think it's necessary and I don't
> like it personally.

>From where I sit, it seems to be the microformats crowd that has no
interest in being cooperative with the RDF crowd. (c.f. recent posts like
http://ben-ward.co.uk/journal/fao-rdf/ ) In addition, there seems to be an
implicit assumption in much of what I see from the microformat community
that RDF is only successful if it marks content up on the Web ala RDFa or
eRDF. I know that there is somewhat of a split even within SWEO on the
corporate SW vs. SW-on-the-web, but to me comments like "The thing about
RDF is that no-one has yet demonstrated any real-world reason to care
about it" seem to beg for some SWEO intervention.

I think Danny's response is well-worth reading if you haven't already,
though I remain personally unconvinced that the original post is
"well-argued".

In general, I wonder if we'd be better off focusing on promoting the
virtues of RDF (on and off the Web) rather than engaging the microformats
community directly.

Lee