Re: Semantic Web Activity page use case

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Yes, that paragraph has been there for a long time; it is actually a
> quote from a presentation or an interview from Tim. As far as I can
> judge, microformats did not exist when that paragraph was put there.
>
> The question is of course the audience. When you say that *this* use
> case can be implemented by microformats, that means that you already are
> way ahead of the crowd and you *know* what the usage of the web of data
> is. The fact that it can be implemented by microformats is something you
> know because you know about that stuff already... for lot of reader of
> the page the very idea that there is a 'web of data' is new. (And if
> people would also make an association with microformats, that by itself
> is not so bad. In some way, I regard them to be part of the Semantic Web...)
>
> I am not saying *at all* that you are wrong, and if the example could
> indeed be extended a bit, that would be good. But we should not have
> more than a paragraph there.
>
> Ivan
>

> P.S. As for wikipedia: I think there is a general idea that people do
> not edit the page of 'themselves', so to say, ie, I, as W3C Team person,
> should not edit that stuff...

Ivan,

The Semantic Web document Wikipedia is a living document that is open to
anyone to edit from a variety of perspectives.

As you know, contributions to Wikipedia can take many forms.

The contribution I am referring to relates more to facts and content
enrichment.

If you look at the logs you will notice that I referred to Tim as
"Chairman" of W3C (during my recent contributions to this document).
Then you will notice Tim popped in and changed that to the correct
designation of "Director".  This is an example of a "fact correction" edit.

There is a lot of confusion swirling around Wikipedia and sometimes we
can end up not doing anything at all about an inaccurate article because
of some of the misconceptions about Wikipedia's contribution protocols.

I think the SWEO membership (and anyone else knowledgeable about the
Semantic Web)  are totally within their rights to enrich the knowledge
in Wikipedia :-) I would like to encourage contributions from SWEO in
particular especially as Wikipedia is increasingly the first point of
call re. "What is the Semantic Web?" these days.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

President & CEO