Re: Collection of Comments re. RDF/XML

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> As I said during the SWEO meeting earlier today, RDF/XML the
>> "Serialization Format" is too often intermingled with RDF the "Data
>> Model". It is extremely important that we make separation of the
>> "Serialization Format" and actual "Data Model" the cornerstone of
>> improved clarity about the constituent parts of the Semantic Web vision.
>>
>> The Semantic Web (as I see it) will be comprised of Physical & Virtual
>> Graphs. The Physical Graphs (typically for import, export, or basic
>> syndication gem purposes etc.) will be in the form of: RDF/XML,
>> N3/Turtle, or anything else. Thus, we cannot have RDF/XML dominate
>> discussion about the RDF Data Model in general. An example this problem
>> is illustrated via the current the Semantic "Stack Cake" Diagram
>> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/sweb-stack/2006a.png>.
>>

> About this layercake: there has been a long discussion on the layercake
> diagram on the Semantic Web Coordination group some months ago. It was
> initiated by the fact that the way the Rules work is in the stack is not
> really in line with their lines. After discussions, here are two
> versions that we ended up with:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/layerCake-2.png
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/layerCake-4.png
>
> I think the second is closer to the rules people's work and mindset
>

>> I will provide a URI for an enhancement to the current "Stack Cake" that
>> attempts to diffuse the aforementioned RDF/XML  issue.
>>

> As said: this work has already been done, and I think it reflects those
> issues as well...
>
> Ivan

Ivan,

Certainly an improvement over the current Cake, but the issue of XML
remains. XML should be stacked vertically in a rectangle labeled:
"Serialization Format" or "Interchange",  that also contains N3, Turtle,
others. This would be in pillar like fashion just  like "crypto". In
addition, there should be a bottom layer rectangle for "Data", "Data
Sources", or "Data Providers".  That's all I believe needs to be added
to the layer cake for now with the goal of separating the RDF Model from
the Serialization Formats.

I will send my rendition attempt of the latest cake diagram that
reflects my comments above.

Kingsley