Re: Introduction: Benjamin Nowack

Hi Bengee,

good to see you here!

Background info:
Both Benjamin and I were teaching Semantic Web at a Congress some months
ago, and later I used his slides on Semantic web VS Web 2.0 on a
gathering of Web 2.0 enthusiasts :-)

About the Germany outreach: perhaps we can organize something in Spring
in Berlin,
Chris Bizer, Arne Handt (from XML Clearinghouse) and some other people
can be local organizers,

we did these "hands on Semantic Web Workshops" repeatedly

best
Leo

Es begab sich aber da Benjamin Nowack zur rechten Zeit 20.12.2006 14:13
folgendes schrieb:
> Hi outreachers,
>
> My name is Benjamin Nowack, I've just been invited to the group
> and I'm truly impressed by the offer. I hope I'll be able to
> contribute as expected.
>
> My background: front-ends ;) I never really liked computers and
> considered them mostly as sneaky attention sinks perpetually
> giving you an illusive "almost there" feeling, always demanding
> "just a little bit more time". Favourite quote: "Let's quickly
> do it with the computer".
>
> The Web's HTML dragged me into Software development in 1995 as
> it offered this instant gratification and immediate creative
> possibilities I didn't see in programming languages and the like.
> I followed the common slippery slope with stops at JavaScript,
> Perl, ASP, ColdFusion, and PHP/MySQL. Also learned a bit graphic
> design. But the me-against-geekdom game was more or less lost
> when I started looking at RDF.
>
> Now I'm spending way too much of my time building SemWeb
> systems[1], tools[2], and apps[3] suited for average Web
> developers like me. It's still the "almost there" state, but
> I'm finally starting to experience the productivity boost RDF
> infrastructure promises, and I think the timing for SWEO
> couldn't be better, esp. now with SPARQL mature enough for
> deployment.
>
> Personal sweo activities: a workshop and some talks in Germany
> this year, slowly moving away from research-y stuff towards more
> trendy topics. Next big event (with great outreach potential) is
> going to be the german webinale[4] where I am invited to talk
> about the "Dream Team Web 2.0 and Semantic Web".
>
> Most successful outreach activity so far: wearing the
> SWAD-E/FOAF t-shirt at this year's DrupalCon. You can't imagine
> how many people asked what RDF is about and where I got the
> cool shirt from ;)
>
> I graduated at Wuerzburg University of Applied Sciences in
> Germany (BA, major Info Management), and currently work from
> Essen in the "Ruhr Valley" as an individual developer.
>
> IRC nick: bengee (#swig, #foaf, #microformats)
>
> Looking forward to SWEOing,
> Ben
>
> [1] http://semsol.com/
> [2] http://arc.web-semantics.org/
> [3] http://rdfer.com/
> [4] http://webinale.de/
>
> --
> Benjamin Nowack
> http://www.bnode.org/

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern   Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de