RE: SWEO Introduction: Uldis Bojars

Hi Paul,

If your question is about SIOC please note that SIOC does not focus on
social networks as such and re-uses FOAF to express relations between people
or information about them.

SIOC aims to "open up" online community sites (forums, blogs,...) and
express semantically rich information about their structure and content [in
RDF]. SIOC ontology is a data format for describing such information and
SIOC export tools [5] allow to generate this information from CMS engines
such as WordPress, Drupal, DotClear and b2evolution.

[5] http://sioc-project.org/exporters

As a result SIOC can potentially provide larger sets of RDF data than pure
social networking sites because the amount of content created by people
grows significantly faster than the amount of connections they declare on
social networking sites. Further, you can view SIOC as a generic format to
represent any [web] content in RDF.

In a more generic context - about Social Software cluster in DERI - we are
working together with Klostu [6] who is building a "super social network" by
connecting together message boards and their communities. Currently we are
not working with any of the conventional social networking sites, but this
cluster is still quite young and this may change in the future.

[6] http://www.klostu.com/

There are a number of sites that are using FOAF to export data, such as Vox
(has FOAF autodiscovery), PeopleAggregator and eCademy. It would be
interesting to work with some of them or other social networking sites.
Again, getting content and structure in a machine readable form and deriving
social networks from content could lead to more interesting results than
just the relations that are explicitly defined.

Best,
Uldis