Re: a concern on SW technologies: document content

On 09/12/06, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be a question to pass over to the semantic-web list. Meanwhile
> I'll ping a couple of XML+RDF people.

One the people I pinged was Uche Ogbuji, then a moment later read this
report of his on XML 2006 (spotted via http://planet.xmlhack.com/ ) -

[[
The Semantic Web Contingent

There was noticeable representation by semantic web enthusiasts
(myself, Harry Halpin, Bob Ducharm, Norm Walsh, Elias
Torres, Eric Prud'hommeux, Ralph Hodgson, etc..) and their
presentations had somewhat subdued tones (perhaps) so as
not to incite ravenous bickering from narrow-minded enthusiasts.
There was still some of that however as I was
asked by someone why RDF couldn't be persisted natively as XML,
queried via XQuery, and inferred over via extension
functions! Um... right... There is some irony in that as I have yet to
find a legitimate reason myself to even use
XQuery in the first place.

The common scenario is when you need to query across a collection of
XML documents, but I've personally preferred to
index XML documents with RDF content (extracted from a subset of the
documents), match the documents via RDF, isolate
a document and evaluate an XPath against it essentially bypassing the
collection extension to XPath with a
'semantic' index.  Ofcourse, this only makes sense where there is a
viable mapping from XML to RDF, but where there
is one I've preferred this approach.  But to each his/her own..
]]
http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-08/xml2006-are-we-there-yet

--

http://dannyayers.com