Re: [InfoGathering] Can DOAP cover?

Ivan Herman wrote:
Uldis Bojars wrote:

>> Edd Dumbill (the author of DOAP vocabulary) was writing on the mailing list
>> that DOAP can be used for non-open source and commercial projects as well.
>> But it is true that DOAP web page specifically says it is for open source
>> projects [only] and we have to make sure it can be used in other setting.
>>
>> CC: to Edd who should be able to answer for sure.
>>

> We may have to have some more URI-s for licensing stuff, and also a
> categorization of the various projects and systems we want to list...

Adding additional richness to license description would be nice...
> In any case, it would be good to try describing a real commercial
> project in DOAP. Susie, what about Oracle 10g?

We should be careful here not to imply that "open source project" and
"real commercial project" are mutually disjoint! There are lots of
commercial projects associated with opensource software.

I think with DOAP, the point about commercial projects, is one of
intent/goal versus expressivity. The project (not wanting to put words
into Edd's mouth here...) seeks primarily to support the work of the
opensource movement, but if in that, it produces something useful for
other purposes, that's cool too. When I read "DOAP is a project to
create an XML/RDF vocabulary to describe open source projects.", I read
it as saying, that the project seeks to improve the description of Open
Source projects, ... not that it can't be used for other purposes. The
Semantic Web is all about partially-anticipated re-use, after all...

BTW, hi all! I just joined this group, wearing my Asemantics hat. I'll
send an intro note soon...

cheers,

Dan

--