Re: On the messaging issues (was also the RDF/XML discussion on the call)

Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote on 12/04/2006 09:46:59 AM:
>

>> Ivan/Lee: Is there an incongruence between the items I am listing above
>> and the RDF/XML matter resolution as you see it?
>>

> Hi Kingsley,
>
> I don't have a strong feeling on the layer cake. I've never used it when
> teaching or pitching SW to someone outside the community (at least not
> until the late stages of the game) and don't think that it (the visual
> picture itself) is a major sales material of SW technologies.
>
> I also don't think that dispeling RDF/XML myths need be a cornerstone of
> SWEO messaging. I've rarely personally had someone express reservations to
> me about SW technologies because of RDF/XML, and while I understand that
> in the past confusion between the interchange syntax and the data model
> turned people off from the field, I do not (personally) see it as a major
> inhibitor currently. But I also think that my personal experience is
> largely worthless here: I think that we should wait and see what our
> surveys tell us about the market's view of SW technologies, and craft our
> messaging accordingly.

Lee,

Okay, cornerstone is a little heavy :-)

The Serialization Formats and Data Model disambiguation issue should be
an essential part of the SWEO outreach messaging effort?

Focal point being, that existing and future collateral should be
cognizant of the tendency to inadvertently skew the RDF Data Model with
an over emphasis on RDF/XML. In short, more N3/Turtle examples should
accompany RDF/XML examples when assembling, or editing existing,
introductory presentation material about the RDF Data Model etc..

I really want to be crystal clear about the point I am trying to make
about the messaging and the use of the Layer Cake to guide the
construction of said messaging.

--

Regards,

President & CEO