Re: On the messaging issues (was also the RDF/XML discussion on the call)

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Just one comment on the RDF/XML discussion on the last telco[1]. We all
> know that RDF/XML has its problems and it was *really* a problem when
> the separation between the model and the RDF/XML syntax was not made
> clear in the messaging. However, I tend to agree with Lee that this is
> not *the* major problems any more, the past years have changed this
> image somehow.
>
> I think I may have posted this at an earlier occasions, but lots of
> people have joined the group since, so let me do it again. I have a
> *draft* FAQ that I put together last autumn:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/SW-FAQ
>
> maybe it helps in channeling the various discussions and, in fact, it
> would be good to produce such a FAQ together that the SWEO group would
> feel comfortable with. It certainly addresses several messaging problems
> that I, Karen, TimBL and some others have 'hit' over time...
>
> Ivan

Ivan,

I only agree with the latter part of your response. I am sure you
understand that we need embark upon a messaging effort that targets
perception first and reality second :-)

RDF/XML and RDF Model separation has to be a cornerstone of the outbound
messaging. Yes, these matters have been resolved within W3C etc. But
the goal of SWEO (as I understand it)  is to clear the muddy waters of
perception across the target audiences: Web Users & Developers,
Enterprise Users, Power-Users, and Developers, Database Technology Vendors.

The Stack Cake [1] revamp request for instance, is more about a visual
from which everyone can draw clarity (whether its contributing
collateral to SWEO or other forms of evangelism). Likewise, the "Myth
Busting" Wiki effort [2] which provides additional disambiguation re.
RDF/XML and the RDF Data Model. Of course, some of this should also go
into the suggested FAQ effort for sure.

[1]
http://myopenlink.net:8890/DAV/home/kidehen/gallery/my_photos/Semantic_Web_Stack_Rev1.png
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/MythBusting

Ivan/Lee: Is there an incongruence between the items I am listing above
and the RDF/XML matter resolution as you see it?

Kingsley