SKOS Implementation: IUPAC Green Book

From: Mark Borkum <m.i.borkum@soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:49:44 +0100
To: <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
* Vocabulary title(s):
IUPAC Green Book

* Name of person and/or organisation responsible for the implementation:
Mark Borkum (m.i.borkum@soton.ac.uk), University of Southampton

* SKOS constructs used:
skos:ConceptScheme
skos:Concept
skos:inScheme
skos:prefLabel

* URL(s) for published SKOS data:
Not available (yet!)

* Can the software read SKOS data:
No

* Can the software write SKOS data:
Yes

* Can the software check consistency of SKOS data with respect to the
SKOS data model:
No. The system maintains a simplified, domain-specific model (books,
indexes and terms) and maps instances of the model to SKOS.

The goal of the "Green Book" project is to provide a user-friendly
version of the IUPAC green book
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quantities-Units-Symbols-Physical-Chemistry/dp/0854044337/).
We decided to use SKOS as the serialisation format because of the
'instant interoperability'. The software was developed using Ruby on
Rails. The system is represented as a 'top-level' ConceptScheme
(containing all concepts). Each edition of a book is represented as a
distinct ConceptScheme.

We are currently working on a number of extensions to the system which
make use of additional SKOS constructs:
1) Use skos:broader and skos:narrower to indicate the context within
which a term was used (for example, "atomic mass" is narrower than "mass")
2) Use data-mining of the original text to associate each term with a
skos:definition
3) Add support for internationalisation using skos:altLabel

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Borkum
School of Chemistry, University of Southampton