Re: [All] Agenda - 2009-07-07 SWD telecon

By way of input to a potential 'Best Practices' discussion...
I saw the flame war that erupted and the passions evoked in that thread, was
more than a bit dismayed, but chose not to participate given the level of
discussion.

I was under the impression that we had made the target audience for the best
Practices document fairly clear -- It's not a comprehensive "everything you
need to know about about pushing rdf out to the web as linked data", nor is
it aimed at _anyone_ who might have direct or indirect access to the Apache
config files. As a matter of fact the recipes can't be used as-is in Apache
config files because the rewrite paths are different.

As for the Apache-specific nature of the current document, I believe that we
made an attempt to open up the recipes to alternative base servers by
inviting alternative recipes and providing a place to submit them.

It remains that the audience for this document is people publishing _RDF
vocabularies_ in the form of one or more discrete documents, working in a
shared server environment, with minimal or no scripting skills, and
independent of any scripting language. Maybe we could emphasize those
limitations more strongly and make it clearer that we're not trying to
propose a comprehensive set of solutions to publishing RDF in general and
we're not making an attempt to fully overcome the limitations imposed by
lack of access to the server configuration.

It's true that we don't mention as a possible URI pattern the increasingly
popular '303-hash' URI [1], and this could be easily and happily added. I
believe that this was discussed at one point and we decided not to add
another layer of complication (and more recipes), but the apparent appeal of
this pattern certainly makes it worthwhile revisiting.

Best,
Jon

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#choosing