W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > August 2009

Meeting record: SWD Telecon 25-08-09

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:56:37 +0100
Message-Id: <442BBE74-370E-4DFF-9EFF-D92083493E67@manchester.ac.uk>
To: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Minutes of the latest SWD telecon are now available [1]. Textual  
snapshot follows.

Cheers,

	Sean

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-minutes.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
----------

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                 SWD WG

25 Aug 2009

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0051.html

    See also: [3]IRC log, previous [4]2009-08-11

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-irc
       [4] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html

Attendees

    Present
           Tom Baker, Deigo Berrueta, Sean Bechhofer, Jon Phipps, Ralph
           Swick, Ben Adida, Alistair Miles, Guus Schreiber, Ed Summers,
           Antoine Isaac, Dan Brickley

    Regrets
    Chair
           Tom

    Scribe
           Sean

Contents

      * [5]Topics
          1. [6]ADMIN
          2. [7]RDFa
          3. [8]Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies
          4. [9]Adding Metadata to W3C Technical Reports, Editor's Draft
             02 October 2008
          5. [10]SKOS
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

ADMIN

    PROPOSE to accept the minutes of the last telecon

    [12]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html

    RESOLUTION: accept the minutes

    tom: 110th teleconference (!)
    ... should be last, but some discussion about continuing WG to
    ... finish up some RDFa things.

RDFa

    Ben: Been mired in discussions re HTML5.

    <Guus> i suggest to drop this action on UC for RDFa doc

    Ben: main reason to continute RDFa. As we figure out relationship
    with HTML WG,
    ... there are issues to address. Some extra time would be useful
    ... if we continue WG, then keep this action?

    Guus: drop it.

    <scribe> ACTION: Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition to
    Group Note [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]
    [DROPPED]

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02

    Tom: What do we need to do to clean this up?

    <Ralph> [14]Working Drafts no longer in development

      [14] http://www.w3.org/TR/#WD-stop

    Ralph: don't need to explicilty do anything. Category on TR page
    ... eventually web master does garbage collection and will move
    things in here.
    ... No explicit action needed. Once charter expires, the draft will
    wind up there.

    Tom: Any comments on other RDFa issues? Or role of SWD?

    Ben: Main issue is that there is a conflict in HTML5 (only HTML WG
    that can produce Recs).
    ... despite best efforts, RDFa isn't in working draft (even in draft
    form). What are the issues?
    ... some claims for technical incompatabilities, which they (e.g.
    Ben et al) don't necessarily believe
    ... initial idea to have a new WG for RDFa. This might be premature.
    Should work together for
    ... a bit longer to see where we can get.

    Ralph: Ben suggested that this group ask to continue past Sept.
    Should we consider that now>

    Ben: happy to chair remaining work as SKOS is done

    Tom: proposal is that this group ask that the group continue past
    december in order to continue work on RDFa.

    <edsu> danbri: glad you could make it :)

    Tom: WG would continue not necessarily with the current chairs or
    set of people.
    ... any comments about that? For or against?

    <Zakim> Ralph, you wanted to ask about a continued role for SKOS ?

    Ralph: Could we combine with ongoing SKOS discussions
    ... thesaurus/SKOS community questions

    Tom: extending charter opens possibilities of SKOS discussions past
    this telecon.
    ... Expect technical issues for SKOS finished today.

    Ralph: If we ask for a charter extension, we need to say what we're
    going to do.

    <edsu> Ralph: does this not count "Finally, the SWDWG is chartered
    to complete the collaboration with the W3C HTML Activity to specify
    a W3C Recommendation on incorporating RDF semantics directly into
    HTML documents." in [15]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/swdwg-charter ?

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/swdwg-charter

    <danbri> +1 on simple short extension

    Ralph: in my experience as team contact, this shouldn't be
    controversial.

    PROPOSED that the WG charter be extended through to end December
    2009 in order to perform outreach with the SKOS, RDFa and HTML
    communities.

    <Ralph> +1

    Tom: propose that we resolve this text

    RESOLVED that the WG charter be extended through to December 2009 in
    order to perform outreach with the SKOS, RDFa and HTML communities.

    Tom: Take the administrative aspects offline.

Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

    <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to publish
    [16]http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/ as a WG Note recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07]
    [CONTINUES]

      [16] http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/
      [17] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07

    Tom: Thanks to Diego and Jon for the excellent work. And Ralph for
    publishing

Adding Metadata to W3C Technical Reports, Editor's Draft 02 October
2008

    Tom: Nothing to report

SKOS

    Tom: SKOS now Rec.

    <Ralph> 3 cheers for SKOS!

    Tom: Quite an impressive piece of work. Honoured to have
    participated over the 110 telecons!
    ... few details.

    <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to send an answer to Elliott's mail
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action03] [DONE]

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action03

    <scribe>see ->
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/0015.h
    tml

      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0015.html

    <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to respond to Daniel Barclay's mail by the
    mail in
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/0022.h
    tml [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/ 
0022.html
      [21] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action04

    see ->
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/0029.h
    tml

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0029.html

    <scribe> ACTION: Ed and Antoine to provide before 17 August a
    pointer to the latest version [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action02] [DONE]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action02

    see ->
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/0030.h
    tml

      [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0030.html

    <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to publish the UC document as a group note at
    the time of recommendation [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action05] [DONE]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action05

    <scribe> ACTION: Sean to update the implementation report [recorded
    in [26]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action06]
    [DONE]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action06

    <scribe> ACTION: Alistair to respond to Felix and implement the
    changes resulting from our resolution to ISSUE-224 [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action01] [DONE]

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action01

    see ->
    [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/0022.h
    tml

      [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0022.html

    Tom: Namespace dereferencing problem

    ->
    [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/0050.h
    tml

      [29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Aug/ 
0050.html

    scribe: Namespace URI resolves to CR version of splash page

    sean: this is what there is, so it needs tidying
    ... how best should I do this?

    <Ralph>
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/ 
skos.html

    ralph: edit the document in place and we'll move it into TR.

    <scribe> ACTION: sean to fix doc at ->
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-minutes.html#action09]

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/ 
skos.html

    <Ralph> [may require me to buy the Webmaster a beverage]

    <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to move into TR space ->
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-minutes.html#action10]

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/ 
skos.html

    <Ralph> [35]http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/

      [35] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/

    Tom: Latest version URI of SKOS reference doesn't have a closing
    slash.

    Ralph: preference is not to have trailing slash

    Tom: Any other issues?
    ... Question that Dan raised about acknowledgements to credit
    projects
    ... Ralph suggested revising the acknowledgements with an errata
    note.
    ... Or could do it in context of SKOS community page.
    ... no one shouting for fixing

    <danbri> I don't think editing the formal acks is needed... but we
    can ack funding sources and projects more visibly, to encourage EU
    et al to do more such funding

    Tom: Community after the SWD.
    ... Home page, wiki, mailing list.

    <danbri> (looming POWDER REC might be another opportunity , that was
    also EU-incubated)

    Tom: Team contact after WG ends charter is Ivan, but he's
    responsible for so much, it's
    ... unrealistic to expect much from him other than basic maintenance
    ... would like to propose that we think of having a designated SKOS
    community contact
    ... (or contacts) with names up there and write access to the
    pages/wiki etc.
    ... maintain mailing list and report to Ivan
    ... informal feedback that this would be a reasonable thing to do
    ... any other proposals or approaches?

    Ralph: Antoine's been updating the SKOS homepage. Thanks!

    Antoine: Not up to date with latest rec :-)
    ... would be happy to keep on with keeping the site up to date.

    Ralph: Alistair?

    Alistair: unlikely to have any time

    <edsu> +q

    Tom: Would be good if whoever it is (e.g. Antoine) is acknowledged
    on the web page as a
    ... contact person. Ideally that contact would also take requests
    from community and discuss with Ivan.
    ... slightly bigger scope than just maintaining a web page. Antoine?

    Antoine: Ok. Think we can go far with existing infrastructure.
    Already a good starting point

    Tom: how much activity on the ESW wiki?

    <Ralph> [36]SkosDev on ESW Wiki

      [36] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SkosDev

    Antoine: Not much, but many of the issues and developments were
    taken care of.
    ... No need to do much with the wiki

    <Ralph> "SkosDev (last edited 2006-09-21 12:37:34 by JakobVoss)"

    Tom: Is wiki linked to SKOS home page?
    ... if we have an existing wiki and it's functioning, then ok,

    <danbri> TomB? I'm afraid I have to leave (unexpectedly) v soon too

    Tom: Proposal on the table for SKOS community is to have Antoine
    function as a community contact listed on the SKOS homepage.
    Community contact will maintain wiki (SkosDev on esw) and mailing
    list (esw) and function as a point of contact for those wishing to
    do any further.

    <Zakim> danbri, you wanted to mention incubator option (eg. for
    extensions for subject classification languages like UDC) - is
    "going back to an incubator" a regress?

    danbri: Wanted to draw attention to W3C Incubator. May seem
    retrograde to go back to incubator

    <Ralph> +1 to XG for SKOS Extensions

    danbri: but there are things bubbling under. Incubators come with
    infrastructure, wiki etc.

    ed: Curious about proposal for dublin core community to assume some
    kind of role.

    <danbri> (people's bosses also understand the idea of a named w3c
    group, and they don't much notice difference IG XG WG .... so having
    incubators might help people get permission to work on skos
    extensions)

    <danbri> gotta run, sorry guys

    Tom: proposal with DCMI hat on.

    <danbri> great work and congrats again! i will read logs and sync
    with Tom/Guus

    <aliman> cheers danbri

    Tom: want to encourage community activities about SKOS, but need
    minimal mechanism to ensure communication and discussion

    Ralph: thanks to Antoine for volunteering. Suggest reowrding that
    the WG nominate Antoine.
    ... ultimately Ivan's decision, but would be good to nominate

    Alistair: Thanks Antoine. Links into pages on wiki. SKOS data zone
    and SKOS tool shed.
    ... places to register data and tools.

    <Ralph> Ralph: alternative wording "The SWD WG nominates Antoine to
    be the maintainer of the SKOS Home page
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/ and the public-esw-thes mailing
    list"

      [37] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/

    Alistair: being able to find data and tools to process it are
    crucial
    ... haven't been able to keep these up to date. If someone had some
    time to keep thse

    up to date would be great

    scribe: some forum for support for definition of extensions. Getting
    together to develop an share extensions. XG for that
    ... sounds a reasonable idea.

    PROPOSED The WG would like to nominate Antoine as a "SKOS Community
    Contact" to maintain the SKOS homepage, moderate the public-esw-thes
    mailing list, oversee the ESW wiki and discuss further issues within
    the community with Ivan (as head of SW Activity).

    <Ralph> [the SKOS parts of the ESW wiki, specifically]

    Antoine: homepage yes, mailing list yes, wiki may take a little more
    time
    ... discuss with Ivan is fine.

    <Ralph> +1 to Antoine for SKOS King :)

    Tom: overseeing doesn't mean updating pages. Means managing
    access/spam etc.
    ... "keeping an eye on it" rather than updating it.

    <edsu> +1 for Antoine :)

    Tom: this doesn't mean there's only *one* community contact....

    <AntoineI> +1

    RESOLVED The WG would like to nominate Antoine as a "SKOS Community
    Contact" to maintain the SKOS homepage, moderate the public-esw-thes
    mailing list, oversee the ESW wiki and discuss further issues within
    the community with Ivan (as head of SW Activity).

    <Ralph> 3 cheers for Antoine

    Tom: Thanks Antoine!

    <aliman> +1 :)

    Tom: Reached the end of the call and reached next steps for
    continuity with SKOS development.
    ... Opportunity if charter is extended to follow up.
    ... although not everyone will necessarily want to participate

    Guus: Seven and a half years ago started as WG chair for OWL
    ... this has been a small and efficient group.
    ... It has been a real pleaure.
    ... hope to see you all in the future. Thanks!

    <Ralph> 3 cheers for Guus and Tom!

    <AntoineI> ++

    Tom: It's been gr8.

    <jphipps> +1 :)

    <Ralph> [all out for beers :) ]

    meeting adjourned!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Ralph to move into TR space ->
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
    [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-minutes.html#action10]
    [NEW] ACTION: sean to fix doc at ->
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
    [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/25-swd-minutes.html#action09]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/ 
skos.html
      [40] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/ 
skos.html

    [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to publish
    [42]http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/ as a WG Note recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07]

      [42] http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07

    [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to send an answer to Elliott's mail [recorded
    in [44]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action03]
    [DONE] ACTION: Alistair to respond to Felix and implement the
    changes resulting from our resolution to ISSUE-224 [recorded in
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to respond to Daniel Barclay's mail by the
    mail in
    [46]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/0022.h
    tml [recorded in
    [47]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action04]
    [DONE] ACTION: Ed and Antoine to provide before 17 August a pointer
    to the latest version [recorded in
    [48]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action02]
    [DONE] ACTION: Ralph to publish the UC document as a group note at
    the time of recommendation [recorded in
    [49]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action05]
    [DONE] ACTION: Sean to update the implementation report [recorded in
    [50]http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action06]

      [44] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action03
      [45] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action01
      [46] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/ 
0022.html
      [47] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action04
      [48] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action02
      [49] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action05
      [50] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/11-swd-minutes.html#action06

    [DROPPED] ACTION: Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition
    to Group Note [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]
      _________________________________________________________

      [51] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02


--
Sean Bechhofer
School of Computer Science
University of Manchester
sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk
http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/people/bechhofer
Received on Thursday, 27 August 2009 15:11:42 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:31:57 UTC