  From:       Alistair Miles <alistair.miles@zoo.ox.ac.uk>

  To:         Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS

  Cc:         public-swd-wg@w3.org

  Date:       10/01/2008 03:00 PM

  Subject:    Re: SKOS comment

Dear Erik,

Thanks again for these detailed comments and suggestions.

All of these comments are still relevant to the 2008-08-29 Last Call
Working Draft of the SKOS Reference, therefore we have decided to
handle them within our last call process.

Your comments have been raised as the following issues: ISSUE-147,
ISSUE-148, ISSUE-149, ISSUE-150, ISSUE-151, ISSUE-152. The Working
Group's issue tracker system is online at:

  http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/

We hope to respond by Friday 10th October. Our apologies for not
taking your comments into account sooner.

Kind regards,

Alistair Miles

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:17:10PM -0700, Erik Hennum wrote:

> [...]
>

> At the risk of ingratitude, here are some comments:
>

> 1.  Notations as plain literals
>
> While it should certainly be possible to specify a datatype for a
notation,
> relying on the datatype to identify the classification scheme and thus
> effectively requiring the datatype seems complex and a barrier to
adoption.

> Would it be possible to use a distinct skos:ConceptScheme instead of a
> datatype to identify each notational classification scheme?  enumerating
> the notations with skos:Concepts?  Mapping properties could then
associate
> the concepts from the notational classification scheme with concepts in
the
> scheme that's the focus of interest.  The datatype could then be optional
> and used for validation of value format (as is commonly expected for XML
> Schema datatypes).
>
> The cost would be some indirection, but that could be mitigated by
minting
> URI identifiers for notational concepts in which the final step is a
> recognizable variant on the notation for the concept.  The benefit would
be
> consistency, simplicity, and a public, reusable SKOS definition of each
> notational classification scheme.
>

> 2.  Irreflexive and noncyclical hierarchies
>
> While it makes good sense to have an abstract base to handle unexpected
> cases, the draft acknowledges in Section 8.6.7. Reflexivity of
skos:broader
> and Section 8.6.8. Cycles in the Hierarchical Relation (Reflexivity of
> skos:broaderTransitive) that many applications expect hierarchical
> relationships to be irreflexive and noncyclical.
>
> Given that this requirement will be quite common, is it appropriate to
> leave it as an exercise for each application to solve in a different way?
> Or would it be better to define subproperties with these constraints so
> this common requirement can be addressed by common SKOS infrastructure?
>

> 3.  Asymmetric associations
>
> In our experience, while we've had no need for symmetric associations,
> we've had considerable need for directional, non-hierarchical
associations.
> For instance, our target audience perceives a directional association
> between a hardware platform and the operating systems that run on the
> platform and again between an operating system and the software
> applications that run on the operating system.
>
> In Section 8.6.3. Symmetry of skos:related, the draft makes a point of
> providing examples of asymmetric subproperties of skos:related,
suggesting
> that our experience may not be unusual.
>
> Is this requirement sufficiently common that it makes sense to provide an
> asymmetric subproperty of skos:related as part of the standard rather
than
> have many adopters solve the same problem in different ways?
Effectively,

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/advanced/viewTaxonomy.jsp

--
Alistair Miles