ISSUE-172: Last Call Comment: Well Formed Lists

Dear Jeremy,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 01:58:11PM +0000, SWD Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-172: Last Call Comment: Well Formed Lists
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/172
>
> Raised by: Sean Bechhofer
> On product: SKOS
>
> Raised by Jeremy Carroll in [1]:
>
> 12) 9.6.2 well formed lists (slightly substantive, change suggested but not
> required)
>
> You could invoke:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#collections penultimate para
> [[
> Semantic extensions MAY place extra syntactic well-formedness restrictions on
> the use of this vocabulary in order to rule out such graphs. They MAY exclude
> interpretations of the collection vocabulary which violate the convention that
> the subject of a 'linked' collection of two-triple items of the form described
> above, ending with an item ending with rdf:nil, denotes a totally ordered
> sequence whose members are the denotations of the rdf:first values of the items,
> in the order got by tracing the rdf:rest properties from the subject to rdf:nil.
> This permits sequences which contain other sequences.
> ]]
>
> which I think would be cleaner.
> Since condition S35 requires special processing of RDF collections, this is not
> imposing much extra burden on implementators. (In fact it is making it easier:
> S35 is particularly irksome in the face of forked lists).

We propose to make an editorial change to section 9.6.2., adding the
following below example 46:

""" However, as stated in [RDF-SEMANTICS] section 3.3.3, semantic
extensions to RDF may place extra syntactic well-formedness
restrictions on the use of the RDF collection vocabulary (rdf:first,
rdf:rest, rdf:nil) in order to rule out such graphs. """

Is this sufficient?

Kind regards,

Alistair
Sean