[SKOS] ISSUE 77 and ISSUE-40: proposal for postcoordination

Hi Jakob,

Coming back to your real problem.
For pre-coordination for the moment I don't have a definitive
proposition, but for post-coordination, why don't you use rdf:Bag and
rdf:Alt [1]? Has it been proposed before?

rdf:Bag intended meaning seems to fit quite well the semantics of AND in
post-coordination, and rdf:Alt the semantics of OR

For instance your
>  #R skos:subject x:holiday .
>  #R skos:subject x:y2k8 .
would be represented as
#R skos:subject _:z .
_:z rdf:type rdf:Bag .
_:z rdf:_1 x:holiday .
_:z rdf:_2 x:y2k8  .

Notice that this lets application developers the care of handling these.
But that's a bit what happens with post-coordination anyway.

So what do you think this proposal is usable for you? I do believe it is
simpler, and appropriately re-uses existing RDF solutions (I think the
examples given in [1] are really close to what you want to achieve)

Notice we MAY want to assign semantics for this proposal pattern, e.g.
saying that all the members of the bag are the skos:subject of the
document. But I'm not sure this actually fits the intended semantics of
post-coordination. If a document is about a combination of concept in a
post-coordination-based search system, it is not supposed to be "fully"
about each concept.

Notice also that I don't have time, but it might be possible to use RDF
containers for pre-coordination. Maybe more will come in the near future...

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#containers