Re: ISSUE 77 and postcoordination [and ISSUE-40!]

Hi

Sorry for confusion and thanks for competent feedback!

Nabonita wrote:

 > As per my experience and understanding of library cataloguing and
 > at the searching stage only.

Let me redefine my concert:

Up to now there is no standard way to encode COORDINATION with SKOS and
that's a big problem.

Aida Slavic wrote:

> Practice so far shows that for formats used as 'carriers' of KOS for the
> purpose of information retrieval - it is completely irrelevant whether
> pre-coordiantion comes from the original vocabulary or whether
> pre-coordination is created in the process of indexing.

Yes and semantically it is irrelevant whether coordination takes place
in the pre- or post- way. Either you search for "X" and in the
vocabulary "X" is a pre-coordination of "A" and "B" or you search for
"A" and "B" by postcoordinating the concepts in your search. Both ways
you should get all documents indexed with "A" and "B".

> how about the following view
>
> 1. We don't use SKOS to index - we use vocabulary to do so.
> The fact that vocabulary happen to be formatted in SKOS is irrelevant
> for the process of indexing and information retrieval.
 >
> 2. We use resource metadata (e.g. Dublin Core) to establish link between
> resource and vocabulary. We do not use SKOS to represent this link ***

Then what's skos:subject for? Either we remove it from the SKOS standard
or we fix it.

> 3. We use information retrieval system to make sense of links between 1.
> resource 2. metadata describing it 3. vocabulary used to populate metadata.
>
> One resource is often indexed by more than one term from a single scheme
> but that is not likely to be a problem if we have layers above properly
> managed.

If you ignore this "layers above" then SKOS vocabularies are irrelevant
at all. What do you want to do with a vocabulary encoded in SKOS but
indexing resources?

Maybe we have different views about what a "KOS" exactely is. Let me
phrase Wikipedia's definition of "Semantic" (I could also cite
philosophers like Gottlob Frege):

"Semanticists generally recognize two sorts of meaning that an
expression (such as the sentence, "John ate a bagel") may have: (1) the
relation that the expression, broken down into its constituent parts
(signs), has to things and situations in the real world as well as
possible worlds, and (2) the relation the signs have to other signs,
such as the sorts of mental signs that are conceived of as concepts."

Every RDF graph has only semantic in the second sense unless human
beeings use it for some purpose in the real world. A KOS encoded in SKOS
does not carry any practical meaning unless you know that it can be used
for indexing resources.

Up to no there is no standard way (beside my proposal or ugly RDF
reification) to encode that a given resource is indexed by a given
person (plus at a given time, context..) with one or more given
concepts. I find this a pretty mean situation.

Greetings,
Jakob

P.S: I generally find the philosophical background and practical
implications of SKOS and its usage very interesting and I think SKOS
will bring back some forgotten results of information science but at the
same time clean up some of its anachronisms ;-)

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany