Re: ISSUE 37+56

Hi Guus,

>> Actually I've been forwarded yesterday a case of 'broader causative'.
>> So I guess this would confim that your 'related causative' is not a
>> candidate for predefined specialization, if we follow what Guus
>> decided for 'related partitive'.
>>
>> By the way my position on this specialization aspect is simple: let's
>> include nothing.
>> First, it adds relation to SKOS
>> Second, well, I feel that we're trying to do this to be more
>> compliant with standards like ISO2788. But if we do it half-way
>> (broaderGeneric and broaderInstantive but not broaderPartitive) that
>> might look a bit shaky, even if there are valid motivations for doing
>> so.
>
> Antoine,
> Sorry, my text was apparently not clear. It was my proposal to *keep*
> broader/narrowerPartitive (and drop the related part-of variant),
> because it is the intuitive one and also keeps the relation with ISO
> 2788.

My fault. So this removes my objection.

>> But if we include them anyway: I like very much the semantics Guus
>> has proposed for broaderGeneric and broaderInstantive.
>
> On reflection, we might just define broaderGeneric and
> broaderInstantive as owl:equivalentProperty of resp. rdfs:subClassOf
> and rdf:type (and not as subproperties of these).

Intuitively I'm ok with that. The problem is that this makes almost
every OWL class also a SKOS concept, by the domain and range of
skos:semanticRelation!
We've got to be sure if we want this as a side effect of an apparently
innocent extension ;-)

Antoine

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> If this can help, I can see the following top-level concept-to-concept
>>> relationships that may be implemented in skos, in addition to the
>>> one already
>>> mentioned:
>>>
>>> - relatedCausative (all the ones like causes/isCausedBy,
>>> benefitFrom/isBeneficialFor, affects/isAffectedBy, etc...)
>>>
>>> - relatedTermporal (all the ones like follows/precedes,
>>> developsFrom/developsInto)
>>>
>>> - relatedEssive (all the ones like isUsedAs/isUseOf,
>>> isDerivedFrom/isSourceOf
>>> , etc.)
>>>
>>> - relatedInstrumental (all the ones like
>>> growsln/isAGrowthEnvironmentFor,
>>> isMeansFor /isPerformedByMeansOf, etc.)
>>>
>>> but, I can see that we would like to limit to "a limited number of
>>> predefined
>>> specializations"... So maybe the aboves are just to keep in mind and