Re: SKOS comment: Grouping Concept Schemes

Hi Antoine,

you wrote:

> I have indeed nothing against introducing a superclass
> (ConceptGrouping?) of ConceptScheme and Collection that would be the
> domain of "member" (or the range of a renamed "inscheme"). I am however
> unconfortable with declaring one as the subclass of the other, since
> their logics seems slightly different (CS group concepts to define
> vocabularies, Collection group concepts for structuring the content of a
> vocabulary)

So is Collection for "structuring" and CS to "define vocabularies"?
Isn't "defining a vocabulary" always a way of "structuring"? My first
motivation was to create an easy way to group concept schemes and so I
came to the question what skos:member and skos:inScheme mean. There are
four cases to be covered by SKOS:

1. the membership of a concept to a concept scheme (inScheme?)
2. the membership of a concept to a collection (member?)
3. the membership of a concept scheme to a concept scheme (?)
4. the membership of a collection to a collection (member?)

Point 3 is not defined yet. Furthermore the semantics have to be
clarified: which membership is transitive? which membership implies
another membership relation?

> If you allow for nested concept schemes, then "member" should be
> transitive (if a concept C1 is a member of CS1 which is a member of CS2
> then C1 is a member of CS2). But this doesn't work for nested
> collection, as you rightly put it in [3]: if C1 is a member of Coll1
> which is a member of Coll2 then C1 is not a member of Coll2

Well, I am not sure why you need "if a concept C1 is a member of CS1
which is a member of CS2 then C1 is a member of CS2". We should better
define what "beeing a member of a Collection" means compared to "beeing
in a scheme".

Greetings,
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany