SKOS comment: Notations

Alistair Miles wrote:

 > We ask at this stage feedback and reviews on this draft specification.
 > All comments are welcome and may be sent to public-swd-wg@w3.org;
 > please include the text "SKOS comment" in the subject line. Note
 > especially that there are a number of open issues, which are indicated
 > in the document.

To solve ISSUE-79 (11.4. Notations) I propose to encode notations with
the RFC 4646 private use language subtag 'x-notation' as suggested in
http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.3908

Change the first paragraph of "5.1. Preamble" to

A lexical label is a string of UNICODE characters, such as "romantic
love" or "れんあい", in a given language, such as English or Japanese
Hiragana. Lexical labels in artificial codes, such as "68U35" or
"300155377", are also known as notations.

Add a subsection in chapter "5. Labels" about Notations:

Notations

Notations are lexical labels that identify a concept with an artificial
code. To explicitely mark a lexical label as notation, use the private
use language subtag 'x-notation'.

Example

<MyResource>
   skos:prefLabel "France"@en ;
   skos:prefLabel "FR@x-notation" ;
   skos:prefLabel "FRA@x-notation-long" ;
   skos:prefLabel "FRA@en-x-notation" ;
   skos:prefLabel "250@x-notation-numerical" .

The example should include at least three cases:

1. 'x-notation'
2. 'x-notation-moredetailedprivatesubtags'
2. 'language-x-notation'

Greetings,
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany