Re: [SKOS] Proposal ISSUE 47 MappingProvenanceInformation

Hi Antoine

Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to make the following proposal for ISSUE-47
> MappingProvenanceInformation
>
> Proposal: considering that ISSUE-71 is CLOSEd by a resolution that
> adopts a mapping vocabulary that parallels the SKOS paradigmatic
> relation vocabulary (following e.g.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Feb/0062.html),
> we CLOSE ISSUE-47 by adopting the Solution 1 from
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Feb/0017.html
>
> My motivation is quite simple: if we go for the reification of mapping
> relationships (the solution 2 of [1]), then we are not really
> parralel. The way mapping relationship and paradigmatic ones would be
> represented would actually be very different!
>
> Further, I truly believe that solution 2 is very technical and fits
> more the requirements of the ontology alignment community. For more
> general SKOs purposes, it may be enough to consider mappings on a set
> basis. For instance, Alasdair, in the mail below, had not thought
> about the "individual provenance" requirement at a first glance. I
> would expect this requirement to be very rare in SKOS use cases.
I had not thought of it because I had assumed that all mappings on one
document would be coming from one source. For the work we are doing,
knowing the provenance of the additional declared information of the
mappings will be very important. However, I think that provenance at a
document level will suffice. At least as a first step down this road.

Thanks,

Alasdair

--
Dr Alasdair J G Gray