 From: public-swd-wg-request@w3.org on behalf of Sean Bechhofer
 Sent: Tue 12/02/2008 15:40
 To: Deridder, Jody L
 Cc: public-swd-wg@w3.org
 Subject: Re: Comment: ISSUE-70

 On 11 Feb 2008, at 02:10, Deridder, Jody L wrote:

 > This is related to Issue-69.
 >
 > <A> skos: broader <B> .
 > <B> skos: broader <A>.
 >
 > is again, nonsense.  If B is a subset of A, then A cannot be a
 > subset of B.  skos:broaderTransitive needs to be defined as an
 > irreflexive property.

 Jody

 I think it's a little strong to say this is "nonsense". The
 skos:broader relationship is *not* the same as subset. If B is a
 subset of A, then A can certainly be a subset of B -- if it is, then
 it's simply the case that the two sets are identical. However,
 skos:broader is intended to represent something more general, and in
 some ways less "formal" than subset (we already have rdfs:subClassOf
 to represent the subclass relationship). So we should be careful not
 to conflate the two.

 Having said that, it may be the case that it is appropriate to define
skos:broader as ireflexive, but that would be quite a strong
 restriction.

         Sean

 --
 Sean Bechhofer