Re: Why RDF? was: ISSUE-160: Allowing collections in semantic relationships

On 22/12/08 12:48, Leonard Will wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 at 11:15:15, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote

(quick reply for now, packing for a flight :)

> If you just use concepts from multiple schemes without building
> relationships between then, then you lose the benefits of a structured,
> controlled vocabulary.

In a public linked information system the size of the Web, even 'just'
using concepts from multiple schemes does effectively indicate some
(loose) relationships between them. And the correlations we look for
don't even need to be that the concepts are applied to the same
document. Same author or even organization is still interesting.

But I take your point re difficulties of mapping. I suspect the lowest
hanging fruit here is w.r.t. concepts that stand for some particular
individual thing, rather than a topic or broad subject area.

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/